Engineering bio of Frank Markovich
Summary: Experienced engineering and operations manager with experience in small and large groups at OEM’s and CM’s. Possess strong leadership, business and team building skills. Set up processes to improve efficiency, lower costs and shorten product development time to market.
2006 – 2013: Intuitive Surgical Corp - Test Engineering Manager, Sunnyvale, California
Test Engineering Manager - Managed test engineering development and supported both production and RMA, key contributor in interfacing with Contract Manufacturing. Directed OEM evaluation activities, test activities, test and diagnostic development. Led the ICT development program. Managed the following groups: Test Technicians, Test Engineers, and Software Engineers.
2003 – 2006: Paramit Corporation, Morgan Hill , California
Development Engineering Manager – Business Development Manager , built a test and development team from the ground up. Group was profitable in first year of existence. Recruited and managed a group of 5 H/W and S/W engineers in over 20 test and development projects including projects in RF, Video, etc. Developed bids, managed and tracked projects, developed overall approach and architecture. Main technical interface to customer for NPI and for test, development, and quality issues.
2001 - 2003 Functional Test Specialists, Alameda , California
Business development and founding partner , for the company I managed all business development and programs, had up to 4 engineers at any one time working on projects for various OEM’s. Profitable in 1st year and gross receipts of over $250K in the 2 nd year.
2000 - 2001 Omneon Video Networks, Sunnyvale , California
Director of Diagnostic and Test Engineering
In addition, managed production for all Omneon Video Products, key contributor in interfacing with Contract Manufacturing. Directed OEM evaluation activities, test activities, test and diagnostic development. Led a team that designed an automated test system for all Omneon products. This lowered test time by a factor of 10, cut costs and provided a more robust, more objective, and complete test. Installed system at a contract manufacturing – which now uses it to show other customers as an example of how to do functional test. Led the ICT development program. Managed the following groups: Test Technicians, Test Engineers, Software Engineers, and Documentation Control.
1991 - 1999 Acuson Corp, Mt. View , California
1993 - 1999 Director Diagnostics Engineering
Management including all work performed at Contract Manufacturer. Highlights included:
- Part of “Product Cost and Quality Team”, chartered to develop the long-term strategy for improvement of product cost and product quality. During this time the following has been achieved through direct results.
- Managed the entire test and diagnostic engineering department for Acuson Corporation on the Aspen and XP ultrasound platforms. Team responsible for diagnostics and tests performed in the factory, in the field and at contract manufacturer of PWA’s.
- One of three team members of the Aspen and XP production team. Team made all manufacturing decisions dealing with the product.
- Member of corporate failure investigation team, responsible for investigation and resolution of customer failures that could have regulatory implications.
- DOA rate on two main platforms has decreased by 50%,
- First pass yields at functional test have improved from 60% to 85% on the Sequoia platform, and from 80% to 95% on the Aspen platform,
- System test yields have improved by 30%,
- Costs due to test and debug have decreased an average of over 20% per year (per system average),
- Clear direction established on long term cost and quality goals.
1991 - 1993 Manager of Analog Test Engineering.
Managed the Analog Test Engineering department. Five engineers doing all the development of Functional Test fixtures and programs for testing complex analog and digital circuitry in Ultrasound equipment. Focused group on automation and cut recurring test costs on factory floor.
1981 - 1991 Ampex Corporation, Redwood City , California
1987 - 1991 Program and Engineering Manager in Special Effects and Graphics
- Managed from original concept to first customer ship the DST-300 Digital Video Standards Translator. Managed all aspects of the project including engineering plans, budgets, staffing and introduction to the factory. Met all cost and schedule requirements.
- As a project manager had responsibility for developing the project plan, assisting the line functions in executing the plan, tracking the overall plan, and ensuring the timely provision of all the deliverables from the functional areas. Planned contingencies.
- Oversaw all engineering aspects of the ESS-3 (Electronic Still Store). Specifically, this included identifying, scheduling, monitoring and reporting of all project goals and developing an engineering staff to effectively work together to produce needed results. This product has over 10 large PWA's and a number of smaller assemblies along with a stand-alone controller and external hard drives.
1981 - 1987 Engineering Supervisor and Manager in Design Test Department
Project Manager for Video Systems test department. Supervised 12 engineers and oversaw all test programs in the division. Project Engineer for test development on the ADO product line (Ampex Digital Optics). Wrote the final systems tests for this product and for all the accessories. This involved both complex digital and analog analysis and design. Developed a training manual for the department and trained new engineers in design and video principles. Managed the test programs on ESS-3, AVA-3 (graphics paint system), ADO and TBC-80 (a video time base corrector). Directed the efforts of the personnel in the group by matching individual skills with assigned tasks, established clear goals and tracked the individuals progress towards achieving those goals.
1979 – 1981 Heald Institute of Technology, San Francisco , California
Instructor of electronics. Taught courses in digital & analog analysis and design, and microprocessors. Worked as faculty advisor to grad students.